SHUTTERED FRIENDSHIP
Tom and Perry grew up together and have been best friends all their childhood years. They did almost everything together. Playing games, telling stories, going to school together and even forced their parents to go to the same place during the holiday vacations in summer. They cherished each other so much to the extent that their other "normal" friends got irritated with their close relationship.
This has been going on until they did their final exam and started applying to join university.Reason? One evening, on the eve of the graduation party, Perry saw Tom kissing another girl; Lisa. And this didn't sit well with her at all. She couldn't stay longer at the party so she left earlier. After some time, Toma realized Perry was no longer at the party. He quickly asked around and someone said they saw her leaving.
He started calling her phone repeatedly but she didn't picked up. He was so worried and began panicking. Lisa told him to stay and just have fun together, but he was having none of this. Not when he didn't know why his best friend left without informing him and then not receiving his calls. He immediately. He dashed to her home to check on her. He rang their home's bell and her mother answered and told him not to bother her daughter because she was sleeping. Tom was startled. Speechless, he didn't have anything to do but leave to his house with beehive of questions crossing his mind. He couldn't sleep that night.
The next days he tried to reach Perry but to no avail. He asked her friends about her and they relayed the bad news that she didn't want to see him again. No reasons were given. Just like that. Tom suffered insomnia and over thinking problems for months. His mother even took him to a therapist a she was worried for only child. Luckily all was well. Both went to far away cities for their college. There was no worry about bumping into each other on the streets having the same circle of friends. This was a relief for both; especially for Tom.
Then after five long years, one cold winter morning, both found sitting next to each other on a flight to Paris. There was both shock and disbelief on their faces as they looked each other. Here is how part of their conversation went:
Tom:
Hi! If you are not comfortable I can ask the hostess to move me to another seat if possiblePerry:
No, no, no problem. I'm okay...Tom:
(after some weird silence) So can I say anything or ask anything at least?Perry:
(scratching her her nails) Yes Tom. I don't know what to say. I probably know what you gonna say or ask I guess. I'm sorry. Really I'm so sorry!Tom:
No you don't have to apologize or anything. It was such a long time ago. Almost more than five years since we last talked to each other...Perry:
(interrupting him) Yes I know. And it just feels like yesterday. I'm very about everything. the way I acted wasn't the best option. It was out frustration and hurt.Tom:
(shocked) What? I wish I knew why? Why did you do that to me? At least you have talked to me. I guess the hurt would have been less. Do you know how traumatized I was thinking about you and why you did that?Perry:
Tom, I know how hard it must have been. For both of us. There was a lot I could have explained then but I couldn't. I was so hurt that I felt so sick and was in bed for more than a month. And you know what? I have remembered you everyday. There was something that was reminding me of you. Some songs were hard to listen to, some places were no go-zones and I was even so scared of the things that mattered to me most. i don't even know how to explain to you everything right now.Tom:
I don't know what I'm feeling right now. I don't know what to tell you or say. I'm so angry with myself, with you and with everything. I have never and will never be the same since you last stopped talking to me.Perry:
I know I carry the bigger burden and blame between us. You had the right to know what was happening and why I stopped talking with you.Tom:
(cutting her off) Look, there is no need to talk further about this and revive healing wounds. So let's leave it there and mind own ways. Thanks for the chat and good luck.Perry:
(standing up with a sad face) I will ask the hostess to change me to another seat.
And that's how two best childhood friends parted ways when they met again unexpectedly. It seemed that none was happy about the death of their precious friendship as each wasn't ready to make self sacrifice or compromise anything.

Yorumlar
Yorum Gönder
Please be considerate and respectful on your comments. Thank you!